The Internet is a place consisting information from personal to the public about all of us. We update our social media accounts regularly by posting our regular activities by posting photos or ‘check in’ on Facebook, outrage through twitter, connect through messenger and Whatsapp, and even increase our professional network through LinkedIn. But then there comes the question about the security of data, fake accounts, the morphing of photos, rape and murder threats, account hacking and much more. How to deal with such behavior online is a major concern for many girls which ultimately refrains them to take the first step of building a profile as well. Let us help you by giving some examples on how to deal such situations and broaden your knowledge on the same.
1. Connect with people smartly: Social Media profiles are decorated with interesting bio, edited photos and people chat with sugar-coated lines in order to impress and earn your trust. Be aware about whom you are talking to. Choose the friends to add to your account smartly. Read their Bio carefully. If do not find any genuine information there then look for mutual friends if any. Ask them about the profile if it is a genuine one or not. When you fail to get this thing then think before accepting such friend request. Have you seen this person in real life? Do NOT connect to people you do not know personally or you have not seen moving in real life. This profiles can be fake ones or of those cheap people who would misuse your details and photographs to either threaten you or blackmail you.
2. Step back when you see the difference in behavior: Sometimes it gets really tough to judge people as they play very smartly and earn your trust. Still do not trust them completely before few months. Do not share any personal photos or address or any personal information till then. Once you share your contact number and you sense a change in behavior like getting messages frequently, unnecessary calls or asking for your photos then get ALERT and step back before you find yourself in a Trap! Start declining the calls, reduce the frequency of replying the messages, and sent them a warning about how uncomfortable you are by this change in their behavior. If needed BLOCK the person.
3. Don’t hesitate to ask for help: Jerks do not understand the language of insult and they keep on trying to contact you which can put you in intense trouble. Ask for help from your friends, give them warnings when they cross limits, threaten them on contacting the cops, if you find them powerful enough make sure you handle with elderly guidance.
4. Go slow to understand better: As soon as you exchange numbers do not plan a meet up with them. You are not aware of their true self and before meeting someone you must be pretty sure about your safety. Tell few people about your location when you are meeting people you get along through social media for first 3-4 meetings. Going slow could help you think more and thus act accordingly while understanding their behavior. If the person is genuine he would not force you to meet frequently and rather would make efforts to make you comfortable first and then asking you out.
5. Talk on a variety of topics to understand their behavior: Having conversations on a variety of topics can help you understand their mentality and behavior. Talk about current affairs, music, movies, feminism, jokes, mutual friends etc. This could help you get an overall idea on their thought process and understand the real them.
Online Harassment has an offline Impact. Learn early about wrong intentions by being Alert and being smart when having conversations. Stay Safe and use online Platform for your growth and not affecting your mental health or facing any trouble. Do not get emotionally attached to someone easily you meet through social media as this can hurt you at the end.