One of the most crucial, memorable and challenging phases of a girl’s career is when she starts working after completing her college. Because besides handling her work skillfully, there are lots of hidden challenges (pertaining to the work & workplace) which she has to deal with during the initial year of her first job.
So let us see some of such issues that a girl has to tackle and how she can handle them.
1. Dealing with Challenges faced with respect to the practical application: Learning the theories at college and scoring high is much easier but ironically it can’t guarantee you success in corporate life. Because one has to jump into the water to actually start swimming, no matter how aware one is about the techniques of swimming. That’s how it is for the newly recruited person. Even if you get hired based on your academic excellence, the practical application of things can only be learnt as you actually start working. To manage this issue, one has to be ready to do the ground work also. Your superior/reporting authorities will make you do the basic work. It is not to make you feel down, but to teach you how important it is to learn little things before you assume bigger responsibilities. As a newly recruited person, you shouldn’t deny doing any work which gives you an opportunity to learn & grow.
2. Breaking the ice and making a repo: As a newcomer, you have to take initiative to break the ice with your team members and colleagues. Maintaining a good repo should not be restricted to your superior/boss or your department, you should have good terms with everyone in the organisation. It is more important for the newcomer because she doesn’t have a fair idea of whom will she have to deal with in future. The key is to greet everyone you come across in your office. However, it is advisable for the girls to avoid being over-friendly with anyone in the office.
3. Change Management: The biggest change that comes to your life as you start working after completing your college is the change of your daily routine. While it is ok to be liberal with your timing in college, working in office requires you to be strictly disciplined with your timing, performance & mannerisms. As you start your job, you’ve to get used to working for the prescribed working hours. End moment project submissions may be possible in college, but you’ve to be on your toes to meet the office work deadlines. Working out on how & where you can multitask also helps a lot. Being a girl, you may also have to manage the household work; that’s where you need to learn ‘Work life balance’.
4. Keep your eyes & ears open: Taking up any job after completing studies requires you to be attentive at every moment. It’s necessary during your working hours in the office. But if your observation power is sharp enough to keep a track of the happenings in your industry (outside the office); it definitely earns you extra points in your career. Besides observing things & churning out important corporate lessons from it; you also need to memorise the things/people/terms etc. directly connected to your work domain.
5. Indulging in Office Politics! – a strict no-no for the fresher: Though ‘Office Politicking’ is a fact of almost every office; participating in gossiping or involving into office politics is dangerous for the newly recruited females. The simplest way of dealing with office politics is to be away from it and be neutral.
6. Managing the journey from Probation to Confirmation: On accepting the Offer Letter, you’re hired for the probation period. This is a ‘not-to-miss’ opportunity if you seriously wish to continue the job. Because you’re recruited as a confirmed/permanent employee by the organisation only if you satisfactorily perform during the probation. Hence, managing with all the resistances is more than important during your probation. The trick is to make a mark by going the extra mile in your work.
So if you know any girl who’s about to make her way to her first job after college, share with her these tips. So that she can have a good start of her career. Kris Versteeg Authentic Jersey