The stomach is also called “second brain” of the body. Also called the enteric nervous system in the scientific language. Our stomach is home to 300-500 different kinds of bacteria referred to as microbiome. The stomach microbiome plays various important roles in our body. It affects our Mood, metabolism, immune system and lot more.
Diet is responsible for what kind of bacteria flourish in our stomach. So it is up to you if you want HAPPY MEAL FOR TUMMY OR MEAL THAT MAKES YOUR TUMMY HAPPY, So be precise while selecting your Diet or hiring a dietician can be advantageous for your Healthy Lifestyle.
EFFECTS OF GOOD MICROFLORA IN STOMACH :
- Immunity– Good bacteria act as a physical barrier to intestines.
- Nutrition– Good bacteria play a direct role in the synthesis of vitamin B & K. They also help in the absorption of calcium & iron.
- Metabolism– Metabolic action of gut flora allows the body to utilise food that would otherwise not be digested.
EFFECTS OF BAD MICROFLORA IN STOMACH –
- Obesity– Gut bacteria of obese people vary significantly from normal people.
- Inflammation– Shortage of good bacteria leads to the development of Irritable Bowel Diseases & colitis.
- Autism– Decrease in gut bacteria diversity has been linked to Autism.
HERE ARE THE FEW TIPS TO KEEP YOUR STOMACH HEALTHY :
Proper consumption of the right types of food decides your stomach health. The two food groups playing an important role in our gut health are Prebiotics & Probiotics.
Imagine your stomach is a garden. Probiotics are like SEEDS that flourish the microflora in the Stomach, and Prebiotics do the work of FERTILISER that helps stomach microflora nourish and grow.
PREBIOTICS– They are special kind of dietary fibre that are favoured by the gut bacteria. Some of the best naturally available prebiotics are- beans, garlic, bone broth, turmeric, banana, apple cider vinegar
PROBIOTICS– They are live bacteria naturally created by fermentation of foods like- Yoghurt, Idli, Cheese, Paneer, Kimchi, Pickles, Kefir.
Optimum consumption of Prebiotice and Probiotics will help you maintain perfect stomach health.
Quick Tips :
- Do not go hard on prebiotics all of sudden if you are aiming to improve stomach health. As a sudden increase in prebiotic fibres can cause pretty intense fermentation leading to bloating and gases.
- As explained in my last blog, start eating mindfully. Avoid overeating, too spicy food, harsh medication, or anything that irritates the stomach and cause acidity, bloating, constipation, burping, etc.
- There are many who get wrongly inspired by commercial ads and think it is mandatory to have antacid tablets or sodas to digest heavy, oily, spicy meal they have. But using too many antacids (in powder or liquid form) is very harmful for the stomach because it contains salts of magnesium & aluminium which cause a laxative effect (wash off good bacteria).